Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Murphy Update

This isn't my most timely post, but the IRS has filed a motion for rehearing in the D.C. Circuit in the Murphy case. Here's a link to the brief. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but what I have read is good. Note the Circuit court judges on the panel decision were Ginsburg (who wrote the opinion), Brown, and Rogers. Ginsburg was appointed in 1986 and actually clerked for one of my favorite Supreme Court justices, Thurgood Marshall. Rogers was appointed in 1994 following a career in corporate, government, and criminal law. She also had an LLM from U Virginia. Janice Rogers Brown, of course, will be remembered from her very contentious appointment in 2005 to the court. Interestingly, she also has an LLM from Virginia. These brief backgrounds of the judges are of no real importance, but ever since I began reading "The Brethren" by Bob Woodward et al. last week, I have become a little more interested in the backstories of judges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home