Monday, November 14, 2005

Conserve Out of Spite

This is a letter to the editor that appeared in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I found it thorough;y amusing.

"I'm not one to conserve on anything, but the gas and oil companies pushed greed too far this time. Ever since gas prices hit $3 per gallon... I have slowed down and have coordinated and curtailed my driving. According to some people, I am in the group that is conserving just for spite. If more drivers would do the same, we would have the oil companies begging for our business." Don Davinroy, Collinsville

5 Comments:

Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

You mean we won't have oil and gas forever? There's a limited amount?

4:13 PM  
Blogger Fishfrog said...

I think the matter is up for debate. I have yet to see any concrete evidence that our supply of oil is finite.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the he/she meant that by driving less he would use less fuel, if everyone drove less then there would be less demand for fuel resulting in lower prices. Oh and there is unlimited fuel, come on everybody knows that. That's why american car companies have always made vehicles that are freakin' huge and get crappy gas mileage. Go team America.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Amanda G. said...

"I'm not one to conserve anything." Who says that? Is that something of which to be proud?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Fishfrog said...

What was the point that I mostly missed, Bill? That we should vote with our dollars? That market forces will force us to conserve when we need to? I just posted the blurb because I liked the guy's attitude. The oil companies can only gauge you if you let them.

Also, when you comment on something I posted nine months ago, it takes me forever to track it down. Maybe you can include the date of the post you're commenting on in future critiques of old posts.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home