Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Ultimate Sleater-Kinney

It's no secret that I love Sleater-Kinney more than any other band. I first heard their music over last summer. Immediately I liked them, but it wasn't until I saw them in concert last fall (or maybe early winter) that I fell in love. My friends must be getting a little tired of hearing bring up in random conversations that Sleater-Kinney is the greatest band of all time, but I don't think anyone is more displeased than Nell. She seems convinced that I'm going to cheat on her with the band.

In my quest to let those around me know the greatness that is S-K, I have compiled my top twenty-five songs, arranged by album. Twenty-five songs is slightly more than can fit onto a CD, so I am going to have to drop one or two if I want to get it on disk. Also, I haven't gotten around to buying their self-titled debut yet, so no songs from that album are on the list. Without further ado, my list (song name, album name; any notes about the tune will follow a semicolon):

1. Call the Doctor, Call the Doctor
2. Stay Where You Are, Call the Doctor
3. One More Hour, Dig Me Out
4. The Drama You've Been Crazing, Dig Me Out; absolutely awesome song! on my top 5 list.
5. Little Babies, Dig Me Out
6. Dance Song '97, Dig Me Out
7. Start Together, The Hot Rock; opening track off my favorite album. they played it live at the New Yorker Festival (available on iTunes)
8. The End of You, The Hot Rock
9. God is a Number, The Hot Rock
10. Get Up, The Hot Rock; my favorite S-K song. just fantastic.
11. Banned from the End of the World, The Hot Rock
12. Memorize Your Lines, The Hot Rock
13. A Quarter to Three, The Hot Rock
14. Ironclad, All Hands on the Bad One; this is Warm Fuzzy's favorite song off Scarlet Panda's favorite album.
15. You're No Rock and Roll Fun, All Hands...; this is a really fun song that both Nell and I like to sing along to
16. Was It a Lie?, All Hands...
17. The Ballad of a Ladyman, All Hands...; I'm still not sure what a "Ladyman" is, but this song kicks ass.
18. One Beat, One Beat
19. Light Rail Coyote, One Beat
20. Combat Rock, One Beat; great tune, in my Top 5
21. O2, One Beat
22. The Fox, The Woods; opening track off their newest album. Great album and their heaviest to date.
23. Jumpers, The Woods; allegedly roughly inspired by a New Yorker article.
24. Modern Girl, The Woods; Great tune, kind of in the same vein as "You're No Rock And Roll Fun" in that they both seem to be light-hearted romps
25. Entertain, The Woods

Great songs from a great band. Download these songs from iTunes or the like, or better yet, go buy all the albums. Whereas I don't have any qualms about stealing music generally, S-K has more than earned the small price of a CD or two.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda G. said...

I still can't believe they didn't play Ironclad at the concert we went to last summer.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Fishfrog said...

I too was sad that they didn't play Ironclad. But on the bright side, one of their two encore songs was Get Up, which totally rules.

Also, I'm constantly confused by human aesthetics. It is really strange to me that one person can think a band is the greatest ever, while another person from a similar background can be unmoved. For instance, Warm Fuzzy thinks They Might be Giants is a great band. I listened to some of their stuff and was unimpressed. Likewise Xeno with S-K. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home