Monday, March 20, 2006

Wood Carving

About two weeks ago SP mentioned that she was interested in learning how to carve. It just so happens that when I was in college I developed a fleeting interest in carving and so I happened to have some carving tools and basswood in my apartment. After digging them out of the closet, I decided to give it a quick go before handing the materials over to SP. It's two weeks later and I am still carving.

I happen to own a mesh carving glove that prevents supposedly cuts to the hand. The truth of the matter is, though, that I average two cuts per carving session. A session can last between twenty minutes and an hour. I have carved about eight or nine times in the past couple weeks and I have no fewer than twenty cuts. Some are U-shaped (caused by the gouge) and some are straight and small (caused by my carving knife). None are very serious and they heal fairly quickly. They do tend to bleed a lot. As a result, some of my carvings have brown splotches scattered around. I think its pretty cool. And it doesn't really detract from the carvings since I have a total lack of talent and they all look like crap anyway.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post Pictures!!!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Fishfrog said...

I carved for about twenty minutes again last night and cut myself three times, one of which bled quite a bit.

6:41 AM  
Blogger brad said...

The gloves can prevent some cuts, but don't help much with jabs. I don't use one, so try to keep the path of the knives and gouges so they don't intersect my hands. I am mostly successful at that, as that brown spot under the paint on one of my Santas attests.

Be careful out there.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need some good wood carving knives visit www.sharp-stuff.com.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home