Friday, December 02, 2005

More Conservative Judges

This interview with the Chief Judge of an intermediate Florida appellate court caught my eye. The interview took place in the early 1990's. He was subsequently removed as chief judge. See if you can tell why.

On race relations: "I would not date a black girl. I would not take one home, my mother would kill me. I wouldn't mistreat one. I would not want my children to marry a black or an Asian or a Chinese or a Puerto Rican. I would not want them to."

Charming. So who is to blame for the disproportiate share that African-Americans make of our prison population? Here's what the judge thinks:
"And it's not all of it their fault [referring to confined African-Americans]. It's the fault of their mothers and their daddies and their ancestors." (Emphasis added)

That's right. The honorable judge is blaming their ancestors. You remember the ones. As I recall, they were snatched from their homes and sold into the slave trade. Yep, it's thier fault. But, wait! The judge is about to show his enlightened side by suggesting that we whites are partially to blame:
"And our fault. We have been too good to them."

That last sentence should be lingered on. And people think we need more conservative judges?

Source: Regulation of Lawyers, by Stephen Gillers, p.530.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda G. said...

that is appauling.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

Be careful stereotyping conservatives. This guy was racist. This guy was conservative. It does not mean that all conservatives are racist.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home