Monday, February 13, 2006

Morality Monday

I just had a job interview with a law firm that represents insurance companies and miscellaneous other companies. In other words, it is a firm that represent "the man" against the little guy. Over the course of the interview, the partner said a few times how it was about money and you have to be hard-hearted and cold-blooded (his words). Now I've never been that much of a bleeding heart, but at times I skew a little to the "public good" side of things. But now I'm wondering, Do I have what it takes to represent the "man?" Can I stare a grieving mother in the face and tell her that her son was contributorily negligent and my client isn't going to give her a dime? Does it help matters that I don't believe that people have souls?

I don't really know the answer to any of these questions, but I'm going to think about it some.

5 Comments:

Blogger warm fuzzy said...

That sounds like a terrible job that would suck the breath right out you leaving nothing but apathetic blob of flesh where our beloved FishFrog shoulc be.

On the flip-side, you'd be rich. So...it's a toss up.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Xeno said...

Unfortunately large groups with lots of money are going to pay the most in almost every situation. The man is always better off than the average Joe. All that really ends up mattering is if you are generally happy. Wealth is nice but it's not everything. On the other hand poverty is not exactly a joy.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous big brother said...

I will kick you square in the balls.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Fishfrog said...

Hey brother! How's the new house?

9:23 AM  
Anonymous big brother said...

Well, it's 400 sqft smaller and it doesn't have a garage. On the positive I am only five minutes from work and I am about one mile from a large army airfield. There is nothing quite as soothing as the sound of a blackhawk flying over the house when you are trying to sleep.

Seriously though, it's not too bad.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home