Monday, March 05, 2007

Lists are bad!

So says ToM (Table of Malcontents).

To a point, it is impossible to disagree. Try to list your top ten movies, and the struggle that ensues when you try to rank Biodome and Rules of the Game against each other. On what basis can any separate and complex entity be determined "better" or "worse" than any other? Every movie (or book or song or artist) has so many different and subtle aspects that appeal (or repulse (or something in between or ex betwixt)) to different facets of my psyche that it is only by taking away from the entity most or all of its components that 10 (or even 2) movies (etc.) can be put on a list.

That being said, Brownlee is wrong and lists are fun; as long as we don't rely on them as the only form of exposition/discussion/etc. into art and entertainment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda G. said...

I love lists. Lists make the world go 'round.

I know exactly where biodome goes on my list: square at the bottom of the any "best movie" list, right after Mr. Wrong.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use a list everyday, my checklist. It outlines the steps to start the helicopter through shutting it down.
You better hope the airline pilot is using a check list. Or as the airplane is rolling off the end of the runway and the pilot is saying to the copilot,"I think we forgot something, but I'm not quite sure." So I say lists are necessary and important, unless you're a dope smokin hippie, but even then, puff, puff, give(to the left). Even hippies have lists, they just aren't always written down.

And everybody knows that Spies Like Us is in the top ten for sure.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home