Thursday, January 05, 2006

Intelligent Design Radio Documentary

I just listened to this documentary. It's pretty good at describing the history of the intelligent design movement and the current state of the controversy post Dover. I'm not going to take you through the show step by step but I do want to mention what the infamous Michael Behe says ID is and what it isn't. I think it is important to understand exactly what ID is arguing against and not create strawmen to tear down.

Behe divides evolutionary theory into three sections:
1. The idea that organisms change over time.
2. The idea of common ancestry.
3. The idea of natural selection.

Interestingly, Behe (and presumably ID) agree with 1 and 2. Where ID departs from eveolutionary theory is in step 3 only. As far as the implications of this bifurcation (or trifurcation) I need to think about it some. But I did think it was interesting to hear exactly what ID stands for from the horse's mouth. The program is worth a listen if you've got some time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda G. said...

very interesting. I found the alternative highschool's science and humanities teacher's collabrative approach interesting.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home