Thursday, December 29, 2005

Unexpected Suprise

No Scarlet Panda, Nell is not pregnant. The suprise is what I found on my four-track recorder this evening. Some background:

Nell and I were in Colorado for six days, starting on the 22nd and returning home on the 28th. As loyal readers will know, Nell and I have two rabbits and a cat, whixh we dearly love, and so when we go out of town we recruit friends to look after them in return for a free dinner and cheesy souvenirs (by the way Panda, I still have to give you your souvenir). Scarlet Panda, Warm Fuzzy, and Matt are our go-to pet sitters. They are all also members of the much-vaunted band, "Tessalation Monkey Head." And so for the past week the three have had unlimited access to our apartment and, apparently, my four-track recorder.

When Matt picked Nell and me up from the airport yesterday, he mentioned that he had recorded some stuff on the four-track. It was not until tonight that I got a chance to listen to it.

The first recording is just Matt, playing acoustic guitar, percussion, bass, and singing. I don't know the song, but it is fantastic. I have known many people in my life (well over forty of them) and Matt is by far the most creativly gifted. The song kicks ass! What is that song Matt?

The second song is entitled "I'll fly away," which is a song off the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou," soundtrack. The tune feature someone (either Matt of Panda) on keyboards and Panda and Fuzzy on vocals. Despite the fact that the tune is clearly lacking a Mandolin part (which would have been played by yours truly) it was still fantastic. The sisters' singing is like honey in yogurt.

The third tune I discovered was, strangely enough, Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song, featuring Matt on electric guitar and Panda and Fuzzy on vocals. One word: awesome. The reason the song is a strange pick is because the Sisters (Panda and Fuzzy) are Catholic (or Papists, if you prefer) and Matt is an atheist. Why they chose to cover a Jewish-themed song I may never know. But I'm glad they did.

I anticipate spending some time tomorrow converting the songs from tape to MP3. That having been done, I will share the songs with the world, via my blog.

To keep you interested, here's a picture of the partial band (minus Nell and Fuzzy) before X-mas. In case you're wondering, I'm on bass guitar.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Thanks, it's Temptation by New Order.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Squishy Burrito said...

As one of your #1 fans I eagerly anticipate our return when we can listen to said music.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Monkeyman said...

post those mp3s! :)

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home