Monday, January 02, 2006

Our Long Scary Night



Last night around 7pm I was cleaning p the bunnies' room and I noticed Titan wasn't being quite aggressive as usual. In fact he was just sitting in the corner, not getting mad or stomping or lunging or anything. So I went to pick him up and he didn't run away. I held him in my lap and he didn't squirm. I even petting him on the head and he did not snort. Something was wrong.

I felt his ears and they weren't as warm as they should have been. I found a thermometer and took his temperature: 96.6 degrees. That's a problem. A rabbit's body temp is normally between 101-103.

Nell and I put Titan and Lily in their carrier and rushed to the emergency animal hospital. It took about 20 minutes to get there. They immediately put him in a towel and put warm water bottles around him to try and get his body heat up. The doctor also hooked him up to an IV to hydrate him.

The diagnosis was Gastic Stasis: a shutdown of his digestive system. Prognosis: 60% chance of recovery. Two hours later the doctor was handing Titan back to me with instructions to keep him warm and force feed him every four hours. So I spent last night and today looking after Titan.

He seems a bit better today, but he's not out of the woods yet. I'm taking him to the vet in about twenty minutes. Needless to say I'm a little on edge. I'll keep everyone posted.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

My heart goes out to you, all the best for a speedy Titanic recovery!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Amanda G. said...

Poor Titan. I hope he gets better.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Amanda G. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well, Titan.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home